Your Private GP and Sexual Health Clinic in Canary Wharf
Infertility advice, testing and referral
We are a satellite clinic of CRGH fertility specialists
Dr Wayne Cottrell:
Infertility needs to be excluded in couples who have been trying to conceive with no success, for over one year. For females over 35, we recommend a full check up at the fertility clinic, before falling pregnant.
84% of couples will have no problems falling pregnant in the first year. However, about 1 in 7 couples will have difficulty. Infertility will only be diagnosed if a couple have been trying to get pregnant for two years without success.
For couples who’ve been trying for more than 3 years unsuccessfully, the chances of getting pregnant naturally is reduced to 25%.
The cause of infertility can be either –
Primary – when someone has never conceived
Secondary – when a person has had one or more pregnancies in the past but is having difficulty conceiving this time around.
Causes of infertility
There are many causes of infertility, both in the female and the male. It isn’t always possible to identify the cause.
Infertility in Women
- Lack of regular ovulation
- Blockage of the fallopian tubes
Infertility in Men
- Poor quality of semen
- Progesterone test can be performed to see if you are ovulating (needs to be done a week before your expected period)
- Hormone tests (FSH, LH), thyroid, prolactin and testosterone
- Chlamydia screening
- Thyroid function tests (up to 5% of infertile women have an underlying thyroid problem)
- Hysterosalpingogram (x-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes)
- Laparoscopy (exploratory investigation where a small cut is made in the lower abdomen and a telescope inserted to view the reproductive organs)
- Physical examination
- Semen analysis (provided offsite)
- STI screening
Referral for Treatment
- Medical treatment for lack of regular ovulation
- Surgical procedures, such as a treatment for endometriosis
- Assisted conception, IVF
- Egg freezing
I am able to provide advice, blood tests and referral to private fertility specialists. As well as for egg freezing and IVF services