Sexual health clinics in London are currently facing a crisis as they are being forced to turn people away due to overwhelming demand and a lack of resources. The situation has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, which led to a reduction in face-to-face appointments and an increase in online consultations. Additionally, funding cuts in recent years have also contributed to the inability of clinics to cope with the rising demand for their services. As a result, many individuals seeking help for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), contraceptive advice, and other sexual health services are being turned away, leading to fears of an increase in undiagnosed and untreated STIs in the community.
Authorities and organisations are calling for urgent action, including increased funding and resources for sexual health services, to address this growing crisis and ensure that all individuals can access the necessary care and support they need.
Crisis for London as sexual health clinics turn people away
Clinics across London are overrun and understaffed leaving patients waiting hours for pre-booked appointments are even being turned away.
As we have reported in recent articles, London is seeing high rates of STIs after the Christmas period and leading up to Valentine’s Day. The epidemic has put a massive strain on clinics, leaving some forced into closure.
With the added pressure of recent cuts to the local public health budget, we strongly recommend that if you cannot be seen by a local doctor, then online testing will ease the congestion and remain a quicker alternative to being placed on a waiting list.
The emotional impact of having an STI or even the worry of not knowing can be overwhelming and is a massive strain on anyone concerned also, Taking time off work to attend appointments with no clue how long you may have to wait can cause stress at work.
- Buying an online test kit is quick, easy and confidential. The kit arrives in a plain envelope with a returns label to send it back for testing discreetly.
- Your test results will be ready within a matter of days, and you will be contacted by either text or call.
- If an STI is detected, then you can pick up a prescription, or, if the tests show anything requiring a GP visit, you will have a priority appointment booked for you.
- This saves any stress with waiting on appointments, booking time off work or, worse, being told to wait weeks to be seen, which can be very damaging to your health.
How does online testing work?
There are various tests, including blood screening, chlamydia and gonorrhoea testing, female vaginal swab, and male urine screening.
- Once ordered, the test will be dispatched for next-day delivery, depending on the day of the week.
- Your test will arrive in a plain envelope, so there is no need to worry if you live in shared accommodation.
- Your kit will contain everything you need, including clear instructions on use.
- Once you have performed the test, you can return it using the freepost envelope.
- Your results will be ready within 7 days.
If you have cause to seek medication, you will be invited to the local clinic or can book in with your GP for the necessary prescription.
Check for appointment availability.
Or alternatively, order your online test today