Your Private GP and Sexual Health Clinic in Canary Wharf
Dr Wayne Cottrell:
Infertility will only be diagnosed if a couple have been trying to get pregnant for two years without success.The cause of infertility can be either primary, when someone has never conceived. Or secondary when a person has had one or more pregnancies in the past but is having difficulty conceiving this time around.
There are many causes, both in the female and the male, but it isn’t always possible to identify the cause.
- Lack of regular ovulation
- Blockage of the fallopian tubes
- Poor quality of semen
- Progesterone test to see if you are ovulating (needs to be done a week before your expected period).
- Hormone tests (FSH/LH), thyroid, prolactin and testosterone.
- Chlamydia screening.
- Thyroid function test (up to 5% of infertile women have an underlying thyroid problem).
- Hysterosalpingogram (x-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes).
- Laparoscopy ( exploratory investigation where a small cut is made in the lower abdomen and a telescope inserted to view the reproductive organs.
- Physical examination.
- Semen analysis (provided offsite).
- STI screening.
- Medical treatment for lack of regular ovulation.
- Surgical procedures, such as treatment for endometriosis.
- Assisted conception, IVF.
- Egg freezing.
I am able to provide advice, blood tests and referral to private fertility specialists.