Syringe with vaccine with map of Africa background

It’s that time of year again, everyone is getting into the summer vibe and if you haven’t already planned and paid for your holiday abroad, the chances are you are thinking of it!

72.8 million sun-seeking trips from the UK were made last year, with fewer and fewer people being vaccinated, it’s no coincidence that viruses such as measles is at an all time high.

If you are planning on travelling outside of the UK this year you need to consider travel vaccinations for both yourself and your loved ones.

In this article we aim to answer some of those “do I, don’t I” questions, so you know you and your family are safe to travel!

Will Brexit bring bad news for travellers?

Since it’s hot in the press, we wanted to cover travelling to the EU after Brexit.

In short –

No deal Brexit – Changes will occur to our passports, driving, EHIC cards, and pet travel from the 31st of October 2019.

Deal to leave – Any rules and laws that will be changed, won’t come into effect until 2020.

For now, most, if not all travellers coming from the UK to visit other countries will only need routine vaccinations (regardless of our exit from the EU).

Have your medical records checked to make sure you are up to date.

Measles outbreaks have become more and more common in Europe over the past 10 years, in fact we have the highest levels reported last year, with south east Asia coming in a close second.

chart for cases reported in the world

Make sure your children are protected before travel. Ideally no longer than 2 weeks before you travel.

Hep B can be passed through blood and bodily fluids, so it is worth considering the risk and protecting yourself from the virus.

If you’re looking for a holiday romance you will also want to consider a Hepatitis B vaccine.

Contact your GP for further information on vaccinations if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, suffer allergies or suffer from an immune deficiency.

A warning to all those who plan to travel with pets – A current EU pet passport may no longer be valid, depending on if we leave as an unlisted, part 1 listed or part 2 listed country. Check with your vet at least 6 weeks before travel.


Which countries require me to be vaccinated?

(be warned some countries may not allow entry without proof of vaccination)

There are 3 types of travel vaccination requirements –

Routine vaccines – vaccinations you should have already had either as a child or later in life depending on what year you were born. Such as tetanus, diphtheria and MMR. In which case you are safe to travel in most places.

Recommended vaccines – vaccinations which are recommended in countries with higher levels of viruses and diseases. This is based on recommendation but may be required for travel insurance.

Required vaccines – vaccinations which are required by the state or country of which you plan to travel. This is a MUST and you are likely to also need proof for entry.

If you plan to travel to a developing country or in rural areas you may be required by law to be vaccinated. This includes certain parts of Africa, South America and Saudi Arabia.

(To enter the country you will not only need proof of vaccination, without it you could be put on the next plane home).

For these types of vaccinations you will need to plan ahead of time as they have to be given 6 weeks before travel.


What vaccinations are given for travelling abroad?

It all depends on the individual and the decision to immunise is based on –

  • Destination
  • Season
  • Duration of travel
  • Immunisation status
  • Exposure to mosquitoes (camping, hiking, and other planned outdoor activities)


Here is a quick guide to what’s given, when –


Yellow fever vaccination

Vaccination against yellow fever is advised if you’re travelling to areas such as Africa, South and Central America and in Trinidad.

Certificate requirements for vaccination may be required for some countries.


Tuberculosis (TB) vaccination

For those under 16, planning to work or live in a high risk area for 3 months or more, we recommend a vaccination against TB. High risk countries include Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Africa, SE Asia, Central America and parts of the Middle East.

Certificate requirements for vaccination may be required for some countries.


Tetanus vaccination

A 3-in-1 Td/IPV vaccine can be given to protect against diphtheria, polio and tetanus.

This vaccine can last up to 10 years.  We recommend a booster shot for travellers who plan to visit areas with limited medical services.


Rabies vaccination

Recommended for travellers who are planning on long stays in areas affected by rabies.


Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination

Routinely given to children around 12 months old. We highly recommend the vaccine is given before travel but it is not required.

Your child maybe up to date, so please check with your doctor.


Meningococcal meningitis vaccination

If you plan to visit high risk areas, we recommend a vaccination against meningococcal meningitis. These include, Africa and Saudi Arabia.

Certificate requirements for vaccination may be required for some countries.


Japanese encephalitis vaccination

Although the name may suggest this vaccine is for travellers heading to Japan, Japanese encephalitis is found throughout Asia, western Pacific islands, the borders of Pakistan and Australia. For those who plan a long stay in these areas we highly recommend the Japanese encephalitis vaccination.

Certificate requirements for vaccination may be required for some countries.starfishThe CDA (Centre for Disease Control and Prevention) is a very useful website for travellers as well as those sun-seekers on short term breaks. You can check this site before travel for any outbreaks of diseases or natural disasters which may affect your trip.


We now offer Saturday vaccination clinics for both children and adults here at Canary Wharf.

For more information on travel vaccinations, click here for an online video consultancy, alternative book your appointment today.Graphic words to wish good holidays in french language